Today a year ago...

One year ago today I woke up and knew that it would be the last morning I got see and hug Cain for a little over 10 weeks. Now today, 10 weeks doesn't seem so long. But in the moment last year it seemed like those weeks would last forever!

I woke Cain up with a kiss and a big hug and said "Today's the day!" and smiled big. I made him his favorite breakfast (Gold rush) and in no time it was time to head to the Muncie Armory.

That drive was a special one. With Nova and Lane in the back we talked about how exciting this next chapter would be and said a lot of "I love you's"

The weeks leading up to that morning were surprising relaxing. I felt such a peace about what Cain was doing and knew that we would be alright through it all. Because of that peace the morning he left was very calming and I was able to truly enjoy the last hour with him. No tears and no sad words. I can honestly say I've never smiled so much from 7:00am-9:00am lol


Toni, Matt, Derrek and Cat met us there. We had about 15 minutes to spear with him which was really nice. When the time came they all said their "See ya soon's" and I walked him up to the door and with a big hug, kiss and even bigger smile we said "See you soon!" and he headed in.



Looking back on that day I wouldn't change a thing! I have no regrets. He was able to leave with peace knowing I would be okay and that he could focus on what he needed to learn. I had Nova as my battle buddy and would count down the days until we saw each other again!


I'm proud of how we handled Basic. Because I had no doubt in our relationships I was able to use the time apart wisely by focusing on myself and my goals.

Now a year has pasted and things are some what back to normal! Like this morning after I took my run I started cleaning up my room. Cain had left his socks (like always) laying where they didn't belong. I looked at him picking them up and said "Hey, try and put these away next time" Haha I walked out of the room then stopped myself. "Really, Lanette?" I thought. "Be thankful for socks to pick up" So I turned around and went over to him kissing his forehead and said "I'm happy to have you home and the socks to pick up" :) He smiled probably thinking he got off easy today :p

If picking up silly socks once in awhile (Or heck everyday with him) is all I have to complain about then I can deal with that. Because with the Army who knows when he will be gone next and I won't have any socks to pick up then. And I've been there, it's no fun!

Now, he needs to be better about cleaning up after himself, yes. But the point I am trying to make is I am thankful for every minute I have with Cain. I try to never take it for granted and to love him through those silly faults.

What's next for him with Army? Who knows! Drills every month and AT this summer sometime. But Cain will jump on any chance to further his skills as a Soldier. Therefore, I'm ready to also jump! Well, more like sit and wait patiently haha. But we are both very excited for what will come in the next couple of years. Until the Army calls school is number one! I'm so proud of the things he wants to do and the dreams he will see through.

Lanette










No comments