So easy, even a new house wife can do it!


I had been wanting to use my antique dutch oven pot since my mom gave it to me as a Christmas gift! I actually had seen it in an antique store and said how much I loved it, but didn't want to buy it! So I was very happy to open it up on Christmas morning!

Once we got our apartment I was ready at anytime to get it out and put it to good use! Finally I had a day where I would be at the apartment for more then a couple hours that way I had time to make it and stay and enjoy it!

This was so extremely easy! I was afraid it would be to hard that I wouldn't be able to pull it off. But what I found out that this dinner was so easy, even a new house wife could do it ;)

After reading a few different recipes I thought I could handle this on my own, with just a little help from my mom! Hey! I can't do it without my mom's help, she is the queen of wisdom in everything!

Healthy Sweet Potato Pot Roast!

1 Simple Truth or Organic Pot Roast about 1.5 to 2.0 lb..
(This was a 1.68 lb.)
8-10 Organic Carrots
2 Organic Sweet Potatoes
2 Onions
3 to 4 cups of Organic Beef Broth
Rosemary 
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil

First you'll want to wash and cut all the vegetables. Sometimes if you get things started before washing them it becomes easier to to not wash them and that's a no go! So wash them, and cut them! First I put the sweet potatoes in the oven on 350 for about 20 minutes. I did this because sweet potatoes take longer to cook, but I think next time I won't do this. Just to see what would happened! It would be nice to cut this step out!
Next I cut my Onions into wedges. This was my first time doing that! I asked Cain to google it for me and he came into the kitchen and saying "Martha Stewart is about to show us" I giggled and we learned how! Okay now I cut the carrots. I didn't want to do the normal circle cut so I sliced them to the side. They looked like cut off fingers which I don't know how I felt about that but it worked!

Once sweet potatoes have cooked for 20 minutes I cut those into cubes and put in the pot! And then set your oven to 275. 

Now I put the Onions in a pan that was on medium high with a little olive oil and let those cook for about 5 minutes, once that was done I put those in the my pot. Next in the same pan I added a little more olive oil and added the carrots and let those cook for another 5 minutes. Once done I put those in the pot. With the same pan I wanted just a bit more of olive oil (I'm talking tsp) and put the roast down. This is to brown the outsides that way the flavor stays in once in the pot cooking. This took no time at all. I browned each side. Once that was done I placed the roast in the pot that had already the sweet potatoes, onion and carrots! I poured the beef broth in until the veggies were covered. 

I add the salt and pepper (not sure how much) and the Rosemary.


Lastly I put it in the oven which was at 225.  That's because I was leaving the apartment for about 30 minutes and wanted to watch it once turning it on a higher heat. So once I was home I turned it up to 275 and cooked for 3 hours! You really are just cooking it until your vegetables are soft and the roast can be cut into easily! So if you are going to be there to watch it set it to 275 and after the 3 hours see how it is looking and go from there. This will be something I will learn more about the more I cook!


The smell was an amazing! I heard our next door neighbor say to a friend before walking into his door "Do you smell that? Wow that smells great!" Haha. It turned out better then I thought it would. I was nervous I'm not going to lie. It being my first time I wanted it of course to be perfect! So I made sure I did my research and of course had my mom's tips.


The best part in all this... the clean up was so easy! So that's why this will be a weekly dinner, more time for us to spend cuddling on the couch!

Be aware. Be smart. Be healthy!

Lanette

No comments