Making it through Basic

I can't believe it, a year ago today Cain was about to graduate from Basic Training. He was officially a Soldier. And I was beyond proud of all that he had done to get where he was.

Those 10 weeks did fly by, surprising enough. I had Graci and my mom keeping me busy and cheerful. 
I look back now and know I couldn't have done it without their love. The night before Family day
 (Which was the day before Graduation) was without a doubt the hardest night. You'd think the first night he was gone would have been the hardest. Nope that was the easiest! Because at that point it hadn't sunken in yet that he was gone, and would be for 10 weeks.

Lying in that hotel room with my mom and lane with me I could not have been anymore uneasy! You see he had told me the last time we were able to talk that the day before Family day they told him he would get his phone for a little bit. So I waited, and waited. But no call, which was normal to not hear from him the last 10 weeks but now I was getting nervous and just wanted to hear from him! I had hours to go until that hug... I wanted it to come faster!

I didn't sleep that night. I was trying to keep my cool the whole morning of the Family day 
but all I wanted to do was jump up and down like a kid on Christmas morning. It felt better then any Christmas morning I could remember.

We went to the building where they would be giving a small greeting to the Families and then
 let the Soldier loose. Going in to the building I for some reason decided I didn't want to go to
the front. So I stopped half way and sat down in the middle seating. To the left of us where the Soldiers. 
All of about 300 of them. So to sit and stare down each to find Cain would have be a long ordeal. 
But to my surprise my mom leaned over to me and whispered, "Is that Cain? Look back at the 
second guy in the row behind us" I did... and there he was. Cain. Looking about the same, just in uniform!

I was at peace from there on out. He was there, right there where I had sat! What are the odds right?



Once they were let go I ran to him giving him the "I've missed you hug" It was like he was never gone once we were together again. 







That day I couldn't stop staring into those brown eyes. I missed everything about him. His smile, his kind words, the way he made me laugh, his kiss. All those things just started to fall back into place. But it wasn't going to last for long. He would be leaving for AIT the day after graduation and would be there in Texas 16 more weeks!


Our families gave us that afternoon to spend alone together. We sat in the seats of my parents car and Cain told me all the stories he could remember off top his head. We laughed together, which sounds so normal but once you're away from your best friend for so long the little things like having a good laugh together is so nice. And so needed!



Graduation day was even better then Family day because he got to go off post with us and stay at the hotel for a couple hours. Before the time came for him to go back to post he had fallen asleep on my shoulder. Something he did (Still does) all the time. I didn't mind at all, I love being his shoulder to lean on at times.


That night we were all smiles again, we had a lot to be grateful for... no more letters! Even though, I loved those letters... phone calls and txts are much better way to stay in touch! So we had that to be thankful for. And the fact that he only had one more thing to finish before coming home. So just like when he left for Basic, no tears. Just smiles and a big hug saying "See you soon!" 

I am so proud of the man I am marrying. He is a great Soldier. He never quits, never gives up. He always shows his best effort. He will go far, I know he will. And his family does too. They knew it from the time he was really little that he was smart and wouldn't settle for anything. 


So next up was his AIT! Which I will share more about when that time comes! 

To Cain: You are my hero no matter your uniform or rank. You are my role model and the pack leader of our little family. I trust you with my heart and know you will guide us through life with your wisdom, love, grace and strong beliefs. I will always be your Army Strong girl :) 

Lanette

No comments