Against all grains but not Pumpkin Pie


I was never a big pumpkin pie girl growing up. Maybe because I ate so much gravy and rolls I didn't save more room for the dessert? But a couple months ago I was getting excited for thanksgiving because I had found a new treat, pumpkin! I even made a pie a month ago to test and see how well I could make one! So with thanksgiving coming I was dreaming about pumpkin pie. 

Like I said in one of my last post, Wednesday before Thanksgiving I woke up sick. I ended up not having time to make my healthy pumpkin pie before leaving to Cain's dads. So thanksgiving came and no pumpkin pie for me :( but don't feel to sorry... I had many other healthy treats to make thanksgiving special ;) 

So this morning I was feeling much better, and had the house to myself. Not knowing what to do, I thought of food of course lol and that pumpkin pie I missed out on! So I got my camera out and that can of pumpkin and went to town! 

Here's how it went ... 

I needed something to munch on while I got everything together! And to help stop myself from eating the pumpkin filling! This was left over from thanksgiving dinner, my mom made a killer sweet potato casserole! Grain free, no refine sugar! It was to die for. 



I needed my tunes to set the mood, thank you pandora for bringing me the holiday spirt into the kitchen!

Against all grains has been a website I find myself visiting more and more. Danielle has great taste in food, and her recipes are easy to follow! I gave my mom her book a couple months ago as a gift for doing so well with her weigh loss and eating healthier! But what she didn't know was I just REALLY wanted the book too ;) I think I might use it more then her, but oh well. It can stay with her when I move out. So without even looking at Pinterest for a good healthy pumpkin pie recipe I went straight to against all grains, and there I found a perfect one.



She calls for pecans for the crust. Pecans aren't my favorite nut but they sure do taste good in everything I put them in! I was so excited about the crust and I hadn't even tasted it yet! While measuring out what I needed I thought how pretty these nuts are. So fall, so thanksgiving, so autumn.

"I must do something else with them!" And so I did. Photo shoot time! I've been wanting to photograph my ring for awhile, outside of just phone pics. But since I haven't gotten it resized yet I have been waiting. But I thought this would be perfect! So pretty! I love my ring :)


 1 cup of pecans and a pinch of a diamond ring ;)



On to baking! This recipe is so easy, and I got to use my food processor! Oh how I love that thing. Cain did good by eying it out at Goodwill this summer. For only $20 too! He's awesome.

So you need to processor a 3/4 cup of pecans until it's like a flour type feel, then add in almond flour, coconut butter, honey, vanilla, 1 egg, salt, cinnamon and ginger.



 I spy with my little eye, a diamond ring. Do you spy it too?! 




I love to watch a mix of things mold into something so yummy! Yes I tasted the dough, duh! I also stopped to stare at the ring. Might be making a habit of putting it in my pictures :/ opps.



Next was the pie filling! Here's the low down: 

2 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 almond milk
3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon clove
1/2 cup of honey
(It called for cardamom and lemon zest. I had neither)




I ALWAYS lick the spoon!


Ahhh, the sight of something baking in the oven. So pretty! And guess what?! It turned out AMAZING! After chilling it for the afternoon, before the Notre Dame game came on Cain and my parents enjoyed a piece with me :) They all gave me thumps up! 

I love baking, and eating. I enjoy seeing others enjoy what I make. For sure gives me a little skip in the step. I hope to keep trying new ways of making things a little healthier and better to eat. It's my goal to show that healthy things can still taste amazing :) Well off to church! And then later this afternoon we are going to go visit two little hole and the wall sleeping spots... aka, a house to rent! Wish us luck, hopefully one of them will be perfect! And allow our sweet puppy. 


And Here is the link to the full recipe! Try it out! It doesn't have to be thanksgiving to enjoy some pumpkin treats! Or try one of her other great eats! 


Lanette

No comments