Rainbow | What does it mean to me

What the Rainbow means to me. I have been asked often, “what’s a rainbow baby?” It’s not a new term but what I’ve noticed is that more people are sharing their rainbows now, than before in the past. 

Not everyone shares though. 

You see it’s when you lose a baby and the storm of suffering and grief follow. You’re caught in the storm and then you see a rainbow appear. Rainbows carry the weight of God’s promise; they are God’s sign that He would never again flood the earth. Rainbows are a reminder to us that God is ever-faithful and longs to show us His goodness and mercy. 

Knowing God has brought new life to us is a rainbow in the sky after months of suffering. But something that is not understood is that this rainbow does not fix what was lost.

A rainbow/baby is not a promise of a perfect story-tale movie. A living baby is a blessing, not a promise. They aren’t the rainbow, they are a gift. We aren’t promised that all suffering will pass. 




But we are promised that God will never leave us. God is good through it all and that this rainbow is another way of showing us his love for us. But guess what? so was Roman. 

Roman was a gift, God showed us his love by giving us our first baby and showing us what kind of love that was. I never will describe Roman as a storm. And I will never hold our second baby and say “now I’m complete” our babies cannot complete us or fix the suffering from loss. Only Christ can do this in me. He has been working in me long before our rainbow. Baby is a beautiful reminder that God hears the desires of my heart but He is doing a crazy work still molding me to who He desires me to be. Whole through Him alone.

Rainbow babies are a beautiful picture of hope. That I know for sure. They are not a promise of no more suffering. But we are promised “I will never leave you or forsake you” in Deuteronomy. And in Jeremiah we are promised again: “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

If you are suffering in a loss, it’s okay to hope for a rainbow. God sees you. He weeps with you in your suffering. Asking Him “what’s next?” was so hard for me. Because I kept asking “Why?” But when I said, “What’s next?” I begin to feel comfort knowing that only He could bring me (others tried, but it was not a comfort like this)

Praying for your rainbow. Your sign of hope. But I am also praying for wholeness in Jesus Christ

No comments