Guest Author | Rachel Hirschy

I am SOOO excited to be sharing today's guest author! I decided to welcome and open up guest authors to my blog because I would love to meet new and exciting people and have you meet them too on here!!

So on the first Monday of every month, you can check in here to see who the guest is for that month!

Rachel is a local photographer and also works and photographs for Nora Gray Boutique. Her work is so beautiful and I love seeing other entrepreneurs do their thing, so that's why I asked her to come on today and get to know her better! Make sure to check out her site and make a stop into Nora Gray and tell her Lanette sent you! ;)




1. Can you tell my readers about yourself and what you do?

Answer: Myself as a person I am honestly simple. I enjoy the little things and I started enjoying photography because that was a way to keep those little memories. I title myself a natural light photographer/boutique photographer. I photograph people for a living. I capture those small moments in other people’s lives and I get to be that person who took the photo that hangs on their wall. I also get to photograph for Nora Gray Boutique. There I mainly do product photos for their website/social media. You can find these photos/products at www.nora-gray.com

2. Describe how did you first get into photography and when did you start photographing Nora Gray’s clothing line?


Answer: I first started to gain an interest in photography when I was about 15 years old. I started like any other photographer probably did with a low-grade digital camera. I photographed everything there was in nature that I could find. I started to notice my quality of images wasn’t where I wanted them to be so I saved up one Summer by working on our farm to buy my first “nice” camera, a Nikon D3000. I currently own a Nikon D600 and a Nikon D810 so I kind of giggle when I look back at that camera but if it wasn’t for that then I wouldn’t be where I am today. I took my siblings/family pictures and as I did those people started messaging me and I have just continued to learn and grow since then. As for Nora Gray’s clothing line, Nora Gray opened roughly 2.5 years ago. My older sister, Staci Huey is the one who decided to take charge of her entrepreneurship qualities and put them to good use. We have kind of just worked together along with Brooke Kirchhofer in growing Nora Gray. We each have our own special quality and mine just happens to be taking photographs. So we have been working on branding ourselves through our social media, website, etc ever since.

3. Can you tell me some of your strengths that really helped you start your business?

Answer: I would have to say creativity. I have always had an eye for things and shooting photos was a huge way I could I express that and learn on my own terms. I also think patience is a huge strength. I am patient with clients and patient with myself. I make sure I get each shot just how I like them and do them the right way first. Lastly, I would say passion. I have grown to be passionate about what I do and It really doesn’t feel like a “job” to me. I honestly just enjoy what I do.


4. How would you describe your photography style?

That’s a tough one because I feel like I like to experiment with different styles but I would mainly say I am more lifestyle and natural. I try to be different from other photographers, especially with the style that I edit. I find myself to have those dark tones but I still carry vibrance in my photos. I like to capture natural moments.


5. Do you have a website/blog we can visit?

Answer: I sure do. You can find my work at www.simply-rachelphotography.com. I try to blog as much as I can but if you want to keep up with daily posts then I would follow my social media networks including Facebook and Instagram.

6. What would be your ideal working environment?

I like a laid back environment. When shooting photos I enjoy the “Golden Hour” the last hour before sunset. I LOVE photos with creamy sunset lighting. I am a sucker for fields, wild flowers, creeks or anything more open. When I am editing I like to binge watch my favorite shows on Netflix!


7. How do you manage time with running your photography business and working at Nora Gray?

My schedule is hectic, I am not going to lie. I work a full-time job with Nora Gray and a do a full-time job with Simply Rachel Photography. My boss who is my sister thankfully is flexible with my weddings and most of my clients are really great with working with my work schedule. Most of the time during the week I leave work at 6 and I have a photo session right after if not two sessions. My weekends are usually full especially when I have weddings to shoot. I am still working on balancing Nora Gray, Photography and just having a life. As I grow as a business I have learned more with scheduling clients and how to work with not only my schedule but my client’s schedules.


8. Who has impacted you most in the photography world?

I don’t think I would say I have a “one” person who has impacted me. I look into all styles of photography. I do a lot of browsing on Instagram at other Indiana photographers and just photographers in general. I love seeing different styles of work. If I did have to choose someone I enjoy a lot to look at it would be Dawn Photo on Instagram based out of Oregon. That’s photographer goals!


9. What do you do in your spare time?

I like to do what any 22-year-old likes to do. I have tons of great friends and family. I am a lover of board games, motorcycle rides, taking spontaneous trips, kayaking and of course good food! I am usually really laid back and I really enjoy mostly anything.

10. Where do you see yourself in five years from now in business?

I hope to see myself being able to do photography full time and being able to do 30-40 weddings a year. This year I have done 20 and it continues to grow each year. If I could do photography full time that would be amazing.

11. What inspired you to start your business?

I’ve grown up with a family of business owners. My dad and brother run their own farm and my sister has always had that drive to be her own boss. I knew at a young age I could do it and enjoy the benefits from it.

12. Have you met anyone interesting/famous in your life?

I don’t think I have met anyone super famous BUT if I could I think Blake Shelton would be a pretty cool guy. I know that sounds pretty random but I’ve grown up always enjoying his music and I think he would be a pretty down to earth guy.

13. What does a day look like for you as a business owner/entrepreneur?
A day for me consists of work at Nora Gray from 10-6PM and then usually I meet clients after work for their sessions. I usually do at least one an evening if not two. Nights that I don’t have photo sessions I use for editing time or just time to go out and enjoy some time with friends or family.

14. Would you encourage other people to start photography and why?

I think if you enjoy photos and feel like it’s something you would have a passion for then why not. Photography for me isn’t just about the “business” aspect of it. I love making clients happy and being able to express myself while I do it. Plus photography is fun, duh!


15. What is your favorite style right now from Nora Grey?

I love anything floral. I am a big floral fan and I personally buy WAY TO MANY tops from Nora Gray, 80% of them probably being floral.

16. What would you say that is the biggest challenge about photography?

Learning the equipment and just getting started. Photography equipment isn’t cheap and I’ve put a lot of money into my work and equipment. I haven’t taken a single photography class either. I have self taught myself this whole way and I still learn every day. One other thing I would say if just committing to it. With photography and especially the weddings you are putting a lot of time into them and you are usually working when other people aren’t. I have sacrificed tons of plans and events to do my wedding photography

17. How would you describe your personal style and is there a person who brings inspiration to you when it comes to fashion?

My personal style is basic honestly. I love fashion but I am more of a casual fashion lover. I love to look cute and be dressed up but yet causal and comfortable. Anything that is cute but comfortable is my kind of outfit! My sister has always had an inspiration on my fashion sense. I would say we are pretty similar when it comes to our tastes in clothing.


18. What would you say that is the greatest satisfaction of being an entrepreneur own?

Even though you work a lot when other people aren’t you still get to work on your time. I can schedule days I want and not schedule certain days. I can take vacations and long weekends when I would like. I get to make all the decisions and that’s pretty cool when it comes down to it. I can choose how I shoot, how I edit, what equipment I want to use and what style I want to be.


Thank you, Rachel!!




Photographs belong to Rachel Hirschy <3

1 comment

  1. Everything is possible when you love to do hard work. You can manage enough time for your valuable and favorite work.

    ReplyDelete