Now that's you





"Now that's you!" was a long-awaited phrase that I didn't even know I was missing.

I tend to brag a little about being homeschooled because I truly loved being raised in that environment. There are lots of things to talk about when discussing that topic but I'm here to talk about just one.

Clothes

Yes, I'm here just to talk about clothes. Well, sort of, bear with me and I'll try and explain.

I once overheard a conversation between a mom and daughter talking about school clothes shopping. The daughter was asking for a certain type of brand and mom was talking about the budget they had. What I picked up on was the daughter wanted/needed types of clothes because that was what was in style and probably what everyone else had. I was interested in this conversation because it was one I didn't have with my mom. Sure, I always liked shopping and my mom had a budget for our clothes but what I didn't understand until that moment was I never had to wear name brand clothes or even clean clothes growing up because no one saw me every day besides my siblings and they did not care that I wore the same sweatpants and t-shirt countless times throughout the week (and they couldn't talk they were doing the same thing)!

My point is, I felt saved from the pressure of dressing for school every day and needing to wear name brand or what was "in" at the time clothes. I loved that about my childhood and I didn't get that until I was an adult, what a relief to not have to fit in!

Now fast forward even more into adulthood, I have always worn what was comfortable. I still like sweatpants and being a nanny the past 10+ years I could wear just about any type of sweatpants and it is okay!

Then I started shopping at some boutiques and started noticing a difference in the quality of clothing and I started to like "dressing up" or dressing "in" style, you could say.

But, I still had a problem that I didn't know how to fix. One day I was shopping alone and picked out two cute dresses. I got to the checkout and I realized what I had just done... I picked out two completely opposite dresses!

I laughed out loud and said to the cashier "You see that first dress, it's tailored cut, coral color, super classy... that looks like something my older sister would wear."

 "Now you see the second dress, denim, wavy, boho designs, wild-child type look ...yeah, that looks like something my younger sister would wear. And look at ME ... I don't have a style!!" (As I nod for her to look down at my outfit) I'm wearing *gym shorts, sloppy t-shirt, hair in a messy bun, etc. Neither of those dresses looked like me, but I liked them because I like my sisters in them!!

"At least my sisters have nice taste in clothes," I said laughing.  (I'm pretty sure the lady thought I was crazy)

I'm completely fine with wearing workout clothes (never working out) I feel comfortable and I like that! BUT ... I did long for a style of my own.

A couple weeks ago I was shopping with my mom and sister, I picked out this knitted blouse, I thought I liked it but I wasn't sure until I put it on, walked out and the first thing my sister says "Now that's you!"

I think my smile reached my ears. "Really?!... I think so too!"


Now I am still wearing gym shorts right now as I type this and plan to all weekend. But I think I am on my way to finding things that fit my personality.  But in the end, as long as I am comfortable I will be happy.


TOP: Nora-Gray // BOOTIES: Maurices

No comments